Table of Contents
- What is a 12-inch Craftsman Miter Saw?
- Why Does My Miter Saw Lock?
- How to Release the Lock
- What Tools Are Required?
- Why Does My Saw Need a Blade Unlocked?
- The mechanics of a saw blade
- How to Unlock the Blade on a 12 Inch Craftsman Miter Saw
- Reinstall the Replacement Blade
- Starting the saw with the replacement blade
- Safety Tips and FAQs
If you own a 12-inch Craftsman miter saw, like most DIYers, you might be wondering how to unlock your blade so that it can be used as a miter saw. This article will show you how to unlock the blade on 12-inch craftsman miter saw.
What is a 12-inch Craftsman Miter Saw?
A Craftsman 12-inch miter saw is a great all-around tool for the home workshop. You can use it for various cutting tasks, including crosscutting, rabbeting, and dado cutting.
It is important to understand how the blade works to use this saw effectively. The blade on a Craftsman miter saw is attached to the saw carriage by two or four arbor screws. These screws allow you to adjust the height of the blade relative to the saw carriage.
To unlock the blade, you need to loosen the two or four arbor screws and then pull up on the blade until it pops off of the arbor. Be careful not to lose any of the screws! Once the blade is unlocked, you can reattach it to the arbor by screwing it back onto the screws.
Why Does My Miter Saw Lock?
Miter saws are great tools, but they can be a bit of a hassle to use if you don’t know how to unlock the blade. This article will teach you how to unlock your blade on an inch craftsman miter saw.
When using a miter saw, the blade is always locked in position. This is done to prevent accidents and ensure that the blade stays sharp. However, sometimes it cannot be easy to lock the blade in place properly. This is particularly true if you’re using a smaller miter saw or have arthritis or other mobility issues. It can be difficult to adjust the miter saw in these cases so that the blade is properly locked.
The fix for this problem is easy: just put the miter saw into “miter mode.” In miter mode, the blade is always locked in place, and you only need to adjust the angle of the saw. This is much easier than trying to adjust the blade each time you want to use it.
How to Release the Lock
There are a few ways to unlock the blade on your Craftsman miter saw. The easiest way is to use the Allen key with the saw:
- Make sure the saw is off by turning it off and removing the blade. Then remove the Allen key by inserting it into one of the notches on the blade cover.
- Rotate the Allen key until it pops out of the notch.
- Use a hammer to gently tap on the Allen key until it releases from the blade cover.
If you do not have an Allen key or want to keep the Allen key for future use, you can also unlock the blade using a screwdriver:
- Remove all of the screws that hold down the blade cover.
- Remove the blade cover by pulling it away from the saw’s body.
- Use a screwdriver to turn one of the screws that hold down the blade.
When this screw is turned, it will release and allow you to remove the blade.
What Tools Are Required?
To unlock the blade on a Craftsman Miter Saw, you will need a Phillips head screwdriver and a Stanley knife.
1. Open the saw’s cover.
2. Use the Phillips head screwdriver to remove the four screws that hold the cover on.
3. Lift off the cover.
4. Use the Stanley knife to cut the plastic tie that connects the blade arm to the saw stand.
5. Remove the blade arm from the saw stand.
Why Does My Saw Need a Blade Unlocked?
When you saw your Craftsman miter saw for the first time, you probably noticed that it had a blade locked. What does this mean, and why is it necessary?
The blade on a Craftsman miter saw is tightly fitted to the motor shaft. This means that you cannot turn the blade without first cutting the teeth on the motor shaft. This is done to prevent damage to the motor and keep the blade from spinning too quickly.
If the blade is not unlocked, you will not be able to use the saw because you will not be able to cut through the teeth on the motor shaft. The only way to unlock the blade is to use a key with the saw.
The mechanics of a saw blade
The blade is usually locked in place when you purchase a Craftsman miter saw. To unlock the blade, you will need to use a specific procedure. Here are the steps:
1. Make sure that the saw is turned off and unplugged.
2. Lift on the handle to free it from the saw’s base.
3. Turn the handle to face away from you and lift it until the blade comes off of the guide rail.
4. Holding onto the blade, turn the handle to face you and place it back on the guide rail. You should now unlock the blade and be ready to use it.
How to Unlock the Blade on a 12 Inch Craftsman Miter Saw
If you have a 12-inch Craftsman miter saw, you may have noticed that the blade can be tricky to unlock. Here are a few tips on how to unlock the blade on your saw:
1. Make sure that the saw is stationary before attempting to unlock the blade.
2. Use your hands and feet to push and pull on various saw parts to loosen the blade.
3. Be careful not to apply too much pressure when unlocking the blade; you may damage the saw or yourself.
Reinstall the Replacement Blade
If your Craftsman inch miter saw is not unlocking when you try to cut, there may be something wrong with the installed replacement blade. To fix the problem, you’ll need to reinstall the original blade and restore the lock-up feature of your saw. Here’s how:
1. Remove the replacement blade from the saw.
2. Align the bevel on the replacement blade with the bevel on the original blade.
3. Push down on each end of the replacement blade until it connects with the metal insert on each side of the saw housing.
4. Reverse steps 1-3 to install the replacement blade in reverse order.
5. Reinstall the handle on the saw by reversing steps 1-4.
6. Test your miter saw to ensure it works properly now that you have replaced the replacement blade.
Starting the saw with the replacement blade
To unlock the blade on your Craftsman Miter Saw, you need to start the saw with the replacement blade:
- Make sure that the miter saw is turned off.
- Use the button on the saw to insert the replacement blade. Make sure that the blade is positioned to face forward and parallel to the fence.
- Press the button on the saw to lock the blade in place.
Safety Tips and FAQs
When using a power tool, it is important always to be aware of the safety precautions that are in place. One of the most important safety precautions is to use the correct tool for the job. This includes being sure to unlock the blade on your Craftsman inch miter saw before starting to cut.
To unlock the blade on your Craftsman inch miter saw:
- Pull up on the yellow release lever located on the front of the saw.
- Keep your hand clear of the blade while doing this.
- Once the blade is unlocked, keep it that way by keeping your fingers away from the blade and keeping your hand close to the fence when making cuts.
If you’re struggling to unlock the blade on your Craftsman 12-inch miter saw, this guide will show you how. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to free up the blade and get started cutting your lumber the right way. If you need help with any other aspects of using your Craftsman 12-inch miter saw, don’t hesitate to reach out for assistance.